Learn to Cruise
- Basic Hands-On Sailing: Croton Sailing School’s Basic Hands-On Sailing course is designed to give you the foundation you need to become a confident day sailor. This two day course offers 12 hours of Hands-On sailing instruction aboard a 24′ Rainbow. During the course students will learn to rig and de-rig their boat, sail to their destination using all points of sail, return to their mooring and utilize all safety procedures necessary to enjoy a pleasant day of sailing.
Our program emphasizes Hands-On experience so you learn to sail while you are sailing. Classes are limited to four students per instructor on our 24′ Rainbows.
Scheduling: Offered every weekend through the season: Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Mid week classes: Thursday and Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. $395 per person.
American Sailing Association sailing text Sailing Fundamentals included. American Sailing Certification available.
- Practice Sails: Practice Sails are a unique aspect of Croton Sailing School’s learn to sail program. These popular sails allow you to use you new skills while sailing with other graduates under supervision of a Croton Sailing School Instructor. You decide what aspect of sailing you want to practice and the instructor will assist you, helping you build confidence and experience to handle the boat on your own. The Croton Sailing school requires that all graduate of Basic Hands-On Sailing take a day of practice sailing before sailing on their own. The practice sail can be scheduled after the completing any Basic Hands-On Sailing course. Practice Sails can also be taken as a refresher course for the rusty skipper, or by any certified sailor who wishes to sail in the company of others.
Scheduling: Offered Saturdays 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM and Sundays 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM and select weekdays. $150 per person.
- Basic Hands-On Sailing Plus: This three day course offers 18 hours of Hands-On sailing! Basic Hands-On Sailing, plus a full day Practice Sail. After your Basic Hands-On program you will be prepared to take the tiller on your own sailing adventure aboard one of Croton Sailing Club’s 24′ Rainbows or a yacht of your own.
Scheduling: Offered every weekend through the Season: Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Mid week classes: Thursday and Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Practice Sails and Club Sail scheduled separately. $495 per person. Save $85. American Sailing Association sailing text Sailing Fundamentals included.American Sailing Certification available.
- Private Lessons: If you wish to set your own schedule for one of our courses or take a brief refresher, we will be happy to arrange private lessons for you with one of our expert instructors aboard any of the yachts in our fleet.
- 24′ Rainbows: $70 per hour, $30 per hour for each additional person. Scheduled by request. 2 hour minimum
- 26′ Pearsons: $85 per hour, $30 per hour for each additional person. Scheduled by request. 2 hour minimum
- Coastal Cruising Course: Learn to Skipper an Auxiliary Powered Yacht with Confidence!
Once you’ve learned to sail and spent a few afternoons on the water, you may be eager to expand your sailing horizons. Our Coastal Cruising course puts you at the helm for two days of exploring the Hudson River aboard 26′ Pearsons.
This 14 hour hands-on sailing course on a 26′ yacht with auxiliary power. Learn to dock under power, anchor, make sail changes and operate VHF radio. Advanced chart reading and choosing safe anchorage will also be covered.
You will learn advanced techniques including:
[list type="shortcode-list list-carot"]
- Docking and Maneuvering Under Power: with emphasis placed on accuracy of speed and steering.
- Selecting sails and making sail changes: proper commands, responses and techniques used to execute heaving to, getting under way again, reefing sails, and reducing heel on all points of sail.
- Finding and Using Safe Anchorage: including anchoring in water at least 10 feet deep, and securing boat at a dock or mooring for lunch or overnight.
- Reading navigational charts: depth, type of bottom, underwater hazards, buoys, lights, beacons, etc.
- Operating VHF Radio/Sailing by Compass: how to do it without varying from the navigator’s ordered heading, and taking bearings with a hand-held compass.Emergency Procedures Including: action to be taken in the event of person overboard, leakage, steering or rigging failure, running aground, etc.
- Duties of Skipper and Crew: interpretation of weather forecasts, checking the vessel prior to sailing. safety regulations and required gear will also be covered.
- If you’ve completed Basic Hands-On Sailing and dream of staying out all day cruising the river or becoming a more confident Skipper this is the course for you!
- Scheduling: Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Mid-week dates also available throughout the season.
- $550 per person. Sailing text included. American Sailing Certification available