Learn to Cruise
Coastal Cruising Course (ASA 103)
Learn to Skipper an Auxiliary Powered Yacht with Confidence!
Once you’ve learned to sail and spent a few afternoons on the water, you may be eager to expand your sailing horizons. Our Coastal Cruising course puts you at the helm for two days of exploring the Hudson River aboard one of our 26′ Pearsons and our 34′ Pearson yacht, Merlin’s Magic.
This 12 hour hands-on sailing course on a yacht with auxiliary power. Learn to dock under power, anchor, make sail changes and operate VHF radio. Advanced chart reading and choosing safe anchorage will also be covered.
You will learn advanced techniques including:
- Docking and Maneuvering Under Power: with emphasis placed on accuracy of speed and steering.
- Selecting sails and making sail changes: proper commands, responses and techniques used to execute heaving to, getting under way again, reefing sails, and reducing heel on all points of sail.
- Finding and Using Safe Anchorage: including anchoring in water at least 10 feet deep, and securing boat at a dock or mooring for lunch or overnight.
- Reading navigational charts: depth, type of bottom, underwater hazards, buoys, lights, beacons, etc.
- Operating VHF Radio/Sailing by Compass: how to do it without varying from the navigator’s ordered heading, and taking bearings with a hand-held compass.Emergency Procedures Including: action to be taken in the event of person overboard, leakage, steering or rigging failure, running aground, etc.
- Duties of Skipper and Crew: interpretation of weather forecasts, checking the vessel prior to sailing. safety regulations and required gear will also be covered.
- If you’ve completed Basic Hands-On Sailing and dream of staying out all day cruising the river or becoming a more confident Skipper this is the course for you!
Cost: $545 per person. Sailing text included. American Sailing Certification available.
2017 Coastal Cruising Course Dates:
|May 20th & 21st|
|June 17th & 18th|
|July 9th & 10th|
|July 15th & 16th|
|July 29th & 30th|
|August 12th & 13th|
|August 26th & 27th|
|September 9th & 10th|
Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104)
Prepare Yourself for Your Own Overnight Cruising Adventures!
The Bareboat Cruising course is taught aboard 40′-50′ yachts in the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. The course is a weeklong combination of sailing and vacationing, giving you the skills and experience necessary to explore exotic sailing destinations on your own. Below are topics covered in the course, and more information on Caribbean Cruises is available here.
Topics covered include:
- Planning the Voyage: provisioning, spare parts, first aid materials, and clothing for a voyage.
- International Borders: documentation and procedures for international sailing.
- Plotting Courses: read charts and identify corresponding landmarks and aids to navigation, pilot into unfamiliar harbors, and use a radar reflector.
- Boat Systems and Safety: correct use of head, stove and galley, and electrical systems will be covered, as well as fire prevention techniques.
- Towing Dinghies: correct methods and potential dangers.
- Advanced Anchoring Techniques: setting and retrieving an anchor set in a Bahamian mooring, rafting at anchor, making allowance for tides, etc.
- Courtesies and Customs of yachtsmen, including offering assistance, permission to board and flag etiquette.
Cost: $1650 per person.
Scheduling: Saturday, February 3rd – Friday, February 9th, 2017